Vegan and Plant-Based Food Business
Best Vegan and Plant-Based Food Business Guide
Vegan and plant-based food business industry is thriving! Reports suggest that there are more than 79 million vegans in the world today.
With growing awareness of how animal-based foods are impacting the planet, people are now choosing vegan and plant-based food alternatives.
Not only plant-based foods are environment-friendly and sustainable, but they are healthier food options to prevent disease.
Whether you are a long-term vegan or you have recently taken a shift towards veganism, this comprehensive guide will help you find the best food options no matter where you go.
What Is a Vegan and Plant-Based Food Business?
A vegan and plant-based food business can come in many shapes and sizes, offering consumers a variety of options when it comes to incorporating more plant-based foods into their diet. These businesses can be:
○ Online Vendors: Using websites or social media platforms to sell vegan and plant-based products.
○ Grocery Stores: Plant-based and vegan foods are offered in a variety of grocery stores, including fresh produce, frozen items, and packaged goods.
○ Restaurants and Bars: Vegan-friendly restaurants and bars serve delicious vegan and plant-based meals and drinks.
○ Caterers: Plant-based and vegan caterers provide food for weddings, parties, and corporate events.
○ Juice Bars: Using plant-based ingredients, juice bars offer freshly prepared juices, smoothies, and other healthy beverages.
○ Personal Chef Services: Individuals and families can hire a personal chef to prepare vegan and plant-based meals at home.
There are many types of vegan and plant-based food businesses, so it's important to know how to choose the right one for you.
How to Order Food Online or Eat Out at Plant-Based Restaurants
With the ever-increasing demand for plant-based alternatives, there is seen a rise in vegan and plant-based food businesses. Fast food chains are now also accommodating vegan consumers by offering plant-based alternatives.
If you are planning to shift to veganism or plant-based food options, you must keep in mind the following factors when ordering food online or dining out:
(1) Whenever you are planning to order your plant-based meal, make sure it has vegetables, whole grains, and protein.
(2) Have plant-based protein alternatives such as quinoa or beans.
(3) Don’t forget to ask for avocados, chia seeds, soybeans or walnut garnishing as these are good sources of healthy fats. The benefits of healthy fats cannot be undervalued.
Why Are Vegan and Plant-Based Food Businesses So Popular?
The popularity of vegan and plant-based food businesses is growing for a number of reasons:
○ Health Benefits: Plant-based diets are associated with lower risks of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and some cancers.
○ Environmental Concerns: In order to reduce their environmental impact, more people are choosing plant-based and vegan food businesses. Plant-based foods use fewer resources and produce fewer greenhouse gases than animal-based foods.
○ Animal Welfare: Plant-based and vegan food businesses support cruelty-free practices by protecting animals in the food industry.
○ Taste and Variety: Vegan and plant-based food businesses are constantly coming up with innovative and delicious products, so people can enjoy plant-based meals without sacrificing flavor.
Change In Food Preferences of Gen-Z and Millennial
Other than Flexitarians, Gen-Z and Millennial make up the largest consumer base for vegan and plant-based food businesses. Gen-Z alone accounts for $29 - $143 billion in direct buying of sustainable, plant-based foods.
One of the leading cause of shift in culinary trends during the past few years is that about 73% of Gen-Z identify themselves as animal rights activists. This statistic was revealed by a 2019 survey by Glamour magazine. So, Gen-Z and millennial are the leading supporters of climate-friendly food options.
The best part is that the food market is responding to the increased demand of vegan food alternatives. According to the UBS Group, it is estimated that the market for plant-based meat and protein alternatives will expand from $4.5 billion to a booming $85 billion by 2030.
Veganism and plant-based food business industry is focused on sustainability. All the plant-based meal alternatives are organically grown or locally produced to minimize our carbon footprint.
Not only that, most plant based restaurants are also choosing environment-friendly packaging for running their everyday businesses.
The Rise of Flexitarians
Apart from mindfully selecting healthier food alternatives, one of the leading causes behind flexitarian boom is the protection of the planet.
During the past few years, studies have linked diary and meat production as the root cause of increasing environmental problems such as deforestation and carbon emission.
Environmentalists like David Attenborough as well as celebrities like Paul McCartney advocate meat-free living, which greatly influenced people’s dietary preferences.
Plant based restaurants and fast food chains are responding to growing trend of veganism. The biggest food chains including KFC, McDonalds, Pizza Express, Pizza Hut, Greggs and more have introduced plant-based fast-food alternatives on their menu to accommodate vegan consumers.
Dining Out - How to Choose The Right Vegan and Plant Based Restaurant
If you have recently made a culinary shift, you need to be mindful about which vegan and plant-based restaurant to choose. The easiest way to find a restaurant is by searching ‘vegan food near me’ on google and picking a place to eat. But, there’s more to it. Or else you would end up eating a bland or dull vegan option. No matter where you go, simply look up for vegan food near me and you will be surprised to find the number of food businesses offering vegan dining.
How to Pick a Vegan and Plant-Based Restaurant
Consider these tips when choosing a vegan or plant-based restaurant:
○ Check online reviews - See what other customers have to say about the restaurant's food, service, and atmosphere by checking reviews on websites such as Yelp and Google Maps.
○ Get recommendations from friends, family, and coworkers who have dined at vegan or plant-based restaurants. They might recommend a favorite place.
○ Find top ranking ‘vegan food near me’ on food delivery apps or Happy Cow and check out the customer reviews about their vegan food options. (Also, check the food hygiene rating).
○ You can also check for certifications. Some vegan and plant-based restaurants have certifications from organizations like the Vegan Society or local health departments, indicating their commitment to quality.
○ Choose a restaurant that is convenient for you to visit, whether it is near your home, work, or a place you'll be visiting.
○ Look over the menu - browse the restaurant's menu online or ask for a copy when you arrive. Ensure they offer dishes that appeal to your palate and dietary needs.
○ Contact the restaurant ahead of time to inquire about dietary accommodation if you have food allergies or special dietary requirements.
○ Check for what side options or add-ons you can have to make your vegan choices all the more scrumptious. Most vegan and plant-based restaurants are ready to make swaps in ingredients as per your preferences.
Tips For Ordering Vegan Food At A Restaurant
No need to restrict yourself to vegan or plant-based restaurants. Here are some tips that can help you stick to your food preferences even if you are at a non-plant based restaurant:
(1) When placing the order, make your expectations clear to the server. Let them know what you are allergic to and ask for alternative options.
(2) If you cannot find anything suitable, ask the waiter for one of the following options:
○ Vegan sandwich, seasoned with salt and pepper
○ Boiled/steamed rice and vegetables without butter
○ Baked/mashed potato with salsa and chives
○ Stir fry vegetables and oil-free tofu
○ Vegan sushi—if available
○ Look for side options-salads that you can make minor changes to.
(3) Get creative with the sides. You may get a vegetable salad plate with your desired seasoning.
Vegan Substitutes You Can Get At Any Restaurant
Here are some substitutes you can have at any restaurant:
○ Mexican restaurants can offer taco salads with beans substituted for meat, vegan fajitas, or vegan bean and rice.
○ Italian restaurants can serve vegetable pizza without cheese, salads, pastas and other vegan side options.
○ Japanese restaurants have incredible vegan sushi, vegan tempura, fried rice and more. You can suggest adding extra veggies to any of these options.
○ Chinese restaurants have steamed rice with stir-fried veggies or vegetable fried rice without egg.
○ Indian restaurants have tons of vegan options. Just be sure to have vegan special options in case you are at a South Indian restaurant.
○ If you are a fast-food restaurant such as Starbucks, McDonalds, etc., you can still order vegan options by following this simple vegan.
Your search for a vegan and plant-based food business does not have to be difficult. Whether you're shopping online, dining out, or looking for a caterer, you should consider factors such as the business's reputation, menu offerings, location, and commitment to accommodating dietary restrictions. If you follow these tips, you'll be able to find a vegan and plant-based food business that will satisfy your cravings while supporting your health, the environment, and the animals.
Check out our related articles: