Online Fitness Business On Skillshare
How To Transition Into Your Online Fitness Trainer Career
The online fitness business is a booming industry. This is your go-to guide if you want to learn how to transition into your fitness trainer career, using Skillshare.
Skillshare is an online learning platform that lets you work at your own pace by launching your course/classes, without going through the long process of approval or applications. Skillshare teachers are regular professionals and creators – people just like you. You do not need to have extensive experience and expertise to start your online fitness business on Skillshare.
Today, online fitness training is considered a more convenient method of teaching people from all over the world. It is easy on the pocket since you do not have to rent a gym and pay bills etc. You are not restricted to go to a particular place, at a particular time, when you can create videos anywhere, anytime.
Now, many people prefer establishing a home workout routine due to the convenience it provides. Besides that, due to the pandemic, many people lost their jobs. So, now they find online fitness training a more cost-effective method of meeting their health and fitness goals. They can learn from the comfort of their homes – all they need is a good internet connection!
It speaks a lot about why the online fitness industry is growing with each passing year. The digitalization of the world and the development of innovative technologies have also greatly supported the online fitness industry. With Skillshare, launching an online fitness business is so easy!
This 9-step easy-to-follow guide will provide you with a roadmap to start and launch your online fitness training course and take it to the next level!
Who Is This Article Aimed At?
COVID-19 has had a huge impact on the labor market metrics. The rate of unemployment hit 14.8% in April 2020. Millions of people lost their jobs when the governments imposed countrywide lockdown. Gyms and training centers were all closed down to reduce the spread of the virus.
Despite the changing circumstances and several challenges, many fitness trainers started their online fitness training, not only to earn from the comfort of their homes, but also to help people cope with the pandemic-related stress and stay fit.
If you have also lost your job as a fitness trainer or discovered your passion for fitness training during the lockdown, you have come to the right place. This article will provide you with a step-by-step guide to starting your online fitness business, as an online fitness trainer, and boosting your business revenue over time.
Start your online fitness training and share your fitness-related experience with people from all around the world, to earn money even when you sleep!
Why Should You Teach Fitness Online?
Due to the pandemic, the fitness industry has seen remarkable changes as people adapt to life without fitness centers and gyms. The pandemic has created new fitness trends, which have led to the exponential growth of online fitness training.
Now more and more people are looking for online fitness programs on platforms like Skillshare. Seeing this increasing demand for online fitness training and its benefits, many professional trainers are shifting to virtual workout training and reaching more clients than ever before. This shift has also created more opportunities and made things easier for both students and trainers.
Online Fitness Business Stats
Let’s go through a few current stats to comprehend the true importance of online fitness training.
- The recent pandemic has made people realize the value of health and well-being more than ever. In a survey of 12,913 participants from different countries, it was found out that people who used to exercise 1 to 2 times a week started exercising 88% more during the lockdown.
- During the lockdown, many people started doing the workout at home. As a result, a 55% increase in the sales of fitness equipment was recorded.
- One of the popular exercise equipment companies, Peloton, noticed a huge surge in sales – their sales of fitness equipment doubled in 2020.
- In 2020, the download of fitness apps increased by 46% People started taking virtual fitness classes and watched recorded exercise videos to stay fit despite the closure of gyms and fitness clubs.
- Live streaming became quite popular during the lockdown. As a result, the number of consumers who preferred live-streamed workouts increased from 7% in 2019 to 80% in 2020. Out of these, 43% are planning to go back to their pre-COVID-19 routine but also include live streaming and online videos in their fitness routine.
- The Fitness world saw many new trends, and many of them are here to stay even after the pandemic. 60% of gym-going Americans liked home workouts a lot, and they intend to cancel their in-person training memberships.
- In a survey conducted in April 2020 by Harrison Co., 40% of the participants said that they worked out at home for the first time due to the coronavirus. It is believed that many will continue to do so.
- As a result of the coronavirus, 74% of Americans downloaded at least one health and fitness app for online fitness training and maintaining their overall health.
- Since many fitness trainers lost their jobs and started virtual training to survive the crisis, during a survey, 83% of the online fitness trainers said that they would continue to work online even when the pandemic is over.
- Online fitness trainers made more money during and before the pandemic. 97% of fitness trainers plan to train clients after the pandemic by combining in-person and virtual coaching.
We all are seeing an increase in the use of Artificial Intelligence. It is expected that Al will replace humans to perform different tasks; as a result, many people could lose their jobs. It is the right time to start an online fitness business, as an online fitness trainer, on Skillshare. This will enable you to put down your roots in the online fitness world and build a following in an ever-growing industry.
The Advantages of Starting an Online Fitness Business
This is not a get-quick-rich kind of business. However, if you follow the right method to create and launch your online fitness training course, then it can be a lucrative and rewarding business option.
Here are the top benefits of starting your online fitness business as an online fitness trainer.
○ The earning of an online fitness trainer depends on several factors like the niche, course quality, etc. On average, an online fitness trainer can make around $44,105 per year. You can earn even six figures if you launch multiple courses and use the right marketing strategies for your online fitness business.
○ Do you have fitness-related knowledge? Then why create only one course when you can create multiple courses of different niches to target a diverse audience through different courses. You can resell these courses and keep earning for the same videos over the years.
○ It’s quite flexible as it does not restrict you to be at a particular place at a particular time. You can record your videos whenever you want and wherever you want. Your students also have the freedom to watch videos when they have time. It gives both the online fitness trainer and student the freedom of time and place.
○ This business gives you the professional freedom that the studio teaching method does not provide. You can create course content and videos however you see fit. You become in charge of everything. In short, you become your own boss.
○ There is no need to rent a place to train students when you can do the same by virtual training your students from your home. All an online fitness trainer needs is a professional-looking space, an internet connection, ample lighting, and some basic fitness equipment to get started.
○ You can reach out to people from all around the world. Your students can be from the United States, England, Canada, Germany, or any other part of the world.
○ You can offer a variety of courses that vary based on their duration, content, niche, and other factors.
○ You can expand your online fitness business by directing your online fitness training course students from the course to the fitness equipment you are selling.
○ Online fitness training is considered a more economical training option compared to in-person training, where students have to buy expensive memberships.
○ It is also safer for ill people who are advised to stay at home until they recover.
○ This type of business also requires little money to establish. You just have to invest in the beginning to create the course and launch it. Once it has established its roots, it will keep on reaching more and more students.
The Physical and Mental Health Benefits of Fitness Training
○ Exercise is a natural way of boosting your metabolic rate and burning more calories in less time. It can help people lose weight and even maintain it over the years.
○ Regular workout elevates the level of happy hormones in the bloodstream. It is one of the reasons why you feel happier and lighter after exercise.
○ Staying physically active is crucial to increasing and maintaining muscle strength and muscle mass. Exercise stimulates the production of hormones that encourage your muscles to produce more protein and build faster.
○ Engaging in physical exercise can elevate your energy level and may also keep you motivated. It is quite helpful for people who feel fatigued or have a medical condition.
○ Loss of bone density is an ageing sign. However, you can reduce it by exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy diet. It will also decrease your risk of bone fractures.
○ Fitness training helps people reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes by diminishing blood cholesterol levels and maintaining blood pressure.
○ A simple workout can be one of the best natural anti-anxiety treatments. It encourages the release of endorphins and relieves tension.
Do You Need to be an Expert to Start Teaching Fitness Online?
One of the most common concerns that people interested in launching an online fitness course have is “we are not expert trainers, how can we teach fitness?”
But who told you in the first place that you have to be an expert to launch your online fitness training course? Probably, no one but your own thoughts. Now hear the truth: “you do not have to be an expert and a certified trainer to successfully launch an awesome online fitness course.”
If you have a passion for teaching fitness and have sufficient authentic knowledge, then you are good to go!
Guide to Launching and Taking Your Online Fitness Course to the Next Level
STEP 1: DECIDE WHAT TYPES OF STUDENTS YOU WANT TO ATTRACT ONLINE
To build a solid foundation for your online fitness business, you need to first identify your target customers then market your course with a suitable pitch. The fitness industry is usually divided into four popular markets. As an online fitness trainer, you have four market options.
○ Sports performance
○ Fat loss
○ General health
○ Corrective exercise
You should evaluate these markets thoroughly then choose one that goes well with your interests and likes.
STEP 2: LET’S GO A BIT DEEPER
All of the markets mentioned above are quite huge. It is better to select one sub-market so that you can link to your ideal clients better. It will help you cater to a particular group's needs and teach your students in a way that they can easily and effortlessly relate to.
You can choose any of the following sub-markets.
○ Any sport
○ Injury rehab
○ College students
○ Pre or postnatal
STEP 3: HOW TO FIND YOUR UNIQUENESS
Now, it is time to narrow down the chosen sub-market more and select a particular niche. There are numerous niches in each sub-market. So, it won’t be hard to find the one that matches your interests the best. If we consider the pre or postnatal sub-market, some of the possible niche options you have, include:
○ Teen & inexperienced moms
○ Older & experienced moms
○ Moms of a single kid
○ Moms of multiple kids
○ C-section moms
○ Moms having diastasis rectus abdominis
You can be creative and combine two niches to create a unique niche like “older moms who had a C-section and have only one kid.” It will help you target an even narrower audience and provide them with online fitness training that specifically caters to their needs.
To understand why you should narrow down the niche, imagine you need heart surgery. Would you go to a general surgeon or a heart specialist? Now you got the point!
Finding an online fitness business niche will also help you market the course in a more efficient way. Your efforts will be more focused and produce better results. You will be able to use the right pitch for a specified group, saving you both time and money.
STEP 4: FIND YOUR TEACHING STYLE
People have their own unique teaching styles. You should also create your personal teaching style that engages students and keeps them attentive throughout the class. There are many teaching styles that you can use during a session.
If you opt for the instructional teaching method, below are the popular ways of recording an instructional video for your online fitness training as an online fitness trainer.
You can give online fitness training through recorded fitness sessions. For it, you will have to record a video beforehand and publish it on the website to let the students watch. There will be no live interaction between the student and the trainer.
In voice-over instruction, you use a voice-over to train the students during your online fitness training.
It is the form of training in which you give instructions during your online class like you would give during an in-person training session.
If you do not yet know which method you would prefer, try different styles during your online sessions and see which method keeps the students more attentive while conveying the message correctly. You can always get the feedback of your students in this regard.
People who are new to teaching can improve their teaching style by regularly practising in front of the mirror.
STEP 5: SETTING UP YOUR ONLINE FITNESS TRAINING SPACE
The environment and space you use for your online fitness business will directly impact how focused and attentive your students stay during the class. That is why you must carefully select a space that is free of distractions and provides you with enough room to perform different exercises.
Consider the following things while selecting a space for your online fitness training.
○ Is the space large enough to accommodate all the fitness equipment?
○ Will I be able to adjust the equipment and still perform exercises in the chosen space?
○ Does the area look professional and distraction-free (like TV noise, family members crossing the room in the background, etc?)
○ Is the area lit enough to create a suitable ambience and make everything visible to students no matter which time of the day it is?
STEP 6: FITNESS EQUIPMENT CONSIDERATIONS FOR YOUR ONLINE FITNESS BUSINESS
Fitness equipment is not a must-have item for online fitness training because you can perform a great workout easily without them. However, your students may have some basic equipment like dumbbells, and teaching them how to use them could them a plus point for an online fitness trainer.
Below is the list of the basic fitness equipment that you should consider investing in.
○ Exercise mat
○ Medicine ball
○ Stability ball
○ Resistance bands
○ Skipping rope
If you already have the equipment, then that’s great! Otherwise, if you need to buy them, choose items that have bright colors and look prominent on the camera. It will maximize visibility and help students track fast movements during online fitness training easily. Black and greyish equipment could easily mix with the background if you have a dark background.
STEP 7: LIGHTING FOR YOUR ONLINE FITNESS TRAINING SPACE
Proper lighting of your workout area is crucial. Dim lighting will make the video look pixelated and boring. It will fail to keep your students fully attentive, and they may also miss some of your moves due to the visibility issue.
You can brighten up the room with either natural or artificial light. It depends on what is available easily. You can use a ring light if the room is not bright enough.
Also, try not to stand in front of the opened windows. It will make you look shadowy on the screen, which may seem you are unprofessional or inexperienced. Instead, cover the windows with decorative and catchy blinds.
STEP 8: CREATE A DISTRACTION-FREE ENVIRONMENT
Your online fitness business background says a lot about you. Having disturbing noises and family members moving in the background can divert the attention and focus of your students. They will find it hard to hear your words clearly.
If you want to present well as an online fitness trainer, you should choose a setting for your online fitness training that looks uncluttered and professional. You should be alone in the room while recording the video, so that your family members do not disturb you.
Choose a space where you can avoid distracting noises better. Common examples of distracting sounds that you may have to deal with include the noise of a barking dog, traffic, crying baby, loud music, TV, etc.
STEP 9: SETTING/CREATING PROJECTS FOR YOUR STUDENTS
This essentially means giving your students homework after each online session. Students should have tasks to do in between classes which will enhance the value of the course and make students more committed to completing the course.
It will keep them motivated and push them forward towards the next stage of your online fitness training course. Giving them something to do on their own will also encourage them to discuss fitness with the people around them.
Homework can be as simple as practising a new exercise three times a day or following a nutritional tip. You can also ask your students to write a fitness journal and discuss the content in your online community section. Homework will improve their understanding, retention, and attitude towards the course.
They will be able to better connect with you as their online fitness trainer and ask questions that may arise in their minds while doing homework.
Design your course content in such a way that it benefits the fitness community, and they come back to you to learn more. Run your business by catering to the basic needs of your target audience.
The bottom line
Shifting from offline training to online on Skillshare may not be an easy task, but it has amazing benefits that make it a lucrative and attractive online business idea.
The fitness industry is an ever-growing industry. So, make commitments to running your business successfully and set practical goals to set yourself apart as a dynamic online fitness trainer. Help clients reach their fitness goals, and they won’t stop coming back to you over and over again!
Overcome the setbacks and hindrances to achieve great success.
We hope this guide helps you on your journey to creating and launching your online fitness business!
Diet Zest earns a small commission from Skillshare, for every person who signs up for a free trial on Skillshare, after visiting links on our site. This does not add to the cost of the product/service for you, and it provides a small amount of income to help keep Diet Zest going. 🙂